Charles Samuel Addams
7 January 1912 - 29 September 1988
- Born January 7 to Grace M. Spear and Charles Huey Addams in Westfield, NJ
- Graduates from Westfield Senior High School
- Attends Colgate University, Hamilton, New York
- Attends University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Attends Grand Central School of Art, New York City
- Sells his first spot sketch to The New Yorker magazine
- Sells his first drawing to The New Yorker magazine
- Illustrates But Who Wakes the Bugler? by Peter DeVries for Houghton Mifflin Company
- Publishes his first anthology of drawings Drawn and Quartered with Random House, Inc.
- Publishes his second anthology of drawings Addams and Evil with Random House, Inc.
- Illustrates Afternoon in the Attic by John Kobler for Dodd, Mead & Company
- Publishes his third anthology of drawings Monster Rally with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Publishes his fourth anthology of drawings Homebodies with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Publishes his fifth anthology of drawings Nightcrawlers with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Publishes his compilation book Dear Dead Days with G.P. Putnam’s Sons
- Publishes his sixth anthology of drawings Black Maria with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Donates 39 finished and preliminary drawings to the Museum of the City of New York
- Donates 33 preliminary drawings to the Museum of the City of New York
- Drawn and Quartered is re-released by Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- The Addams Family television series premiers on ABC
- Publishes his seventh anthology of drawings The Groaning Board with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Monster Rally is re-released by Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Publishes The Chas Addams Mother Goose with Windmill Books, Inc.
- Publishes his eighth anthology of drawings My Crowd with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Publishes his ninth anthology of drawings Favorite Haunts with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Receives Honorary Doctorate from University of Pennsylvania
- Publishes his tenth anthology of drawings Creature Comforts with Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Receives Honorary Doctorate from Southampton College, Southampton, New York
- Participant in A Year at the New Yorker exhibition at the National Academy of Design, New York City
- Dies during the morning of September 29 in his car in front of his apartment at West 54th Street in New York City
- The Estate of Charles Addams publishes The World of Charles Addams with Alfred A. Knopf.
- Tee Addams donates 70 Addams drawings to The New York Public Library, New York City
- The Addams Family movie released by Paramount Pictures
- The Charles Addams Gallery on the third floor of The New York Public Library is dedicated for “permanent rotating exhibition of Addams works from their collection” (NOTE: Removed from service in 2000)
- Addams Family Values movie released by Paramount Pictures
- Formation of the Tee and Charles Addams Foundation
- The Foundation publishes an updated version of The Charles Addams Mother Goose with Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
- The Foundation and the Children’s Museum of the East End inaugurate the Charles Addams Festival: Cartooning for Kids
- The Foundation publishes Chas Addams Half-Baked Cookbook: Culinary Cartoons for the Humorously Famished with Simon & Schuster
- The Foundation publishes Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One with Simon & Schuster
- Charles Addams: A Cartoonist’s Life by Linda H. Davis is published by Random House, Inc.
- The Addams Family: A New Musical opens in Chicago for out-of-town tryouts
- The Foundation publishes The Addams Family: An Evilution with Pomegranate Communications, Inc.
- The Addams Family: A New Musical opens at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre in New York City
- The Addams Family: An Evilution is published in Japanese and in Italian
- The Addams Family: An Evilution is published in French